Oskarshamn Power Company (OKG), Sweden
Nuclear power plant
Increased safety and electrical output
OKG employs 700 people on the Simpevarp peninsula, some 30kms north of Oskarshamn. Three of Sweden’s nuclear power reactors (known as units) are located here: Oskarshamnsverket 1, 2 and 3, owned and operated by our client. Since the early 1980s, OKG has asked us for comprehensive safety expertise, enabling electrical output to be maximised. This has needed to cover all systems, structures and components that may have an impact on plant safety, alongside relevant procedures and human interactions, at every operating mode.
How we helped
Our role covers three core areas.
- Detailed knowledge and mapping of all systems in use.This includes front-line safety systems, electrical systems (power supply and signals), support systems (cooling systems, primarily) and relevant non-safety systems that may be used as a safety barrier, as well as relevant procedures and human interactions.
- General PSA development to help realise OKG’s goal of having assessments covering every operating mode, at all times. This includes power operation, shut-down, start-up and refuelling outages.
- Further PSA activities to support our client’s ongoing modernisation projects.
Our support has helped OKG to:
- gain a licence to operate
- generate nuclear energy safely
- increase thermal power and electrical output (power-up rating).